[XML-SIG] Re: Finding _xmlplus in Python 2.3a2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin@v.loewis.de
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 15:36:50 +0100

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> I'd prefer if PyXML offered a great opportunity to hand out code to users
> of the pyxml package instead of overriding the core xml package.. If
> code is as much in flux as you describe it shouldn't have been distributed
> as part of the core library at all in my opinion.

That might indeed be the case, but if you wait for perfection, you won't
get any core XML libraries for quite a few more years. Marketing is what
drove incorporation of XML libraries into Python 2.0, plus the libraries
were significantly better than what was there (xmllib). It was only
later that the problems we have since corrected had been discovered
(e.g. that pulldom is quite inefficient for building a DOM; using expat
was so much faster than anything else we had at the time).

Regards,
Martin