[XML-SIG] Finding _xmlplus in Python 2.3a2

John J Lee jjl@pobox.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:59:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Jeremy Kloth wrote:
[...]
> I bring up the bug reporting simply because I don't recall anyone reporting
> that PyXML broke their Python installation until now.  The cases you mention
> are abstract, but without concrete details, I cannot reply otherwise.
[...]

That argument makes sense only when applied to a feature to be introduced
in the future, in which case we can't know what effect it will have
without considering concrete details.  This discussion is about a feature
already introduced (the _xmlplus hack), which we *know* causes problems
(unless you don't believe your users).  And we're suggesting replacing it
with another system that is known to work: the normal Python namespace /
import system.

Hmm, I'm sounding a bit whiny here... maybe I should add that I appreciate
all the work the XML sig has done, and that this import thing is of course
a relatively tiny (though important) detail!

John