[XML-SIG] Re: Finding _xmlplus in Python 2.3a2

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
03 Mar 2003 00:27:38 +0100

Martijn Faassen <faassen@vet.uu.nl> writes:

> Or even weirder, you upgrade your Python but you
> also have PyXML installed for it (or install it later), and now it may be
> magically *degraded*.

I'll write a separate response, but: This cannot happen. If you
install a new Python release, it won't take over an existing PyXML
installation - you will have to explicitly install PyXML again for
that Python installation.

Installing PyXML won't downgrade you XML libraries: The _xmlplus
version check is designed to prevent that.

> No, I have witnessed several developers using this software not understanding
> the arrangment, which is obscure and confusing. In addition there are indeed
> users who get confused as well. Dependency management would be a lot more
> straightforward for everyone if PyXML had its own top level namespace.

That would break a lot of existing code.

Regards,
Martin