[XML-SIG] I don't understand this error -- please help

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Sat Jun 28 17:07:55 EDT 2003

Michael McKerns wrote:
> I'm working on a distributed computing project, and I'm trying to
> port the server we built to another computer.  On the current server,
> our this test code works -- on the new machine it fails...
> Apache tests pass, & mod_python tests pass. I get failures on some of
> the 4Suite tests -- I can send the report here or to Forethought...
> I've been reading the XML-SIG archives, and JAN2003 has been very helpful,
> but has not solved my the remaining problems.  Any help or advice I can
> get is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>   File "/home/mmckerns/public_html/pyweb.py", line 9, in ?
>     from xml.dom.ext.reader.Sax2 import FromXml
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_xmlplus/dom/ext/reader/__init__.py",
> line 21, in ?
>     encoder = codecs.lookup("utf-8")[0] # encode,decode,reader,writer
>
>   File "/var/tmp/python-2.2.2-root/usr/lib/python2.2/encodings/__init__.py",
> line 51, in search_function
>
> RuntimeError: cannot unmarshal code objects in restricted execution mode

Line 51 tries to import a codec. This can involve unmarshalling byte
code objects (if Python finds a usable .pyc file).

The question is: why would mod_python or your program want to run in
restricted execution mode (= __builtins__ doesn't point to the
standard Python builtins dictionary) ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 28 2003)