[XML-SIG] XSLT sorting by "authors" element, with multiple authors

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Sat Jun 7 00:48:53 EDT 2003

> On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 09:42:19PM -0400, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> >
> > [Jon Berry]
> > > In initial searches, it looked like the   xsl:for-each-group
> > > and/or xsl:function constructs might help, but they don't seem
> > > to be supported by the current PyXML/4Suite implementations.
> > >
> > > So, with the constraint that I'm trying to avoid buying a book for now,
> > > is this doable using templates, easy, and currently implementable
> > > with free software?
> > >

> > Best to go to the Mulberry xslt list with xslt questions!  The two
> > instructions you mention are not in xslt1.0 but rather in the draft xslt2.0.
> > It seems unlikely that the 4Thought people will ever have much interest in
> > getting 4xslt conformant with xslt2.0, so you need another approach.
>
> Why is this?

Because XPath 2.0 and XSLT 2.0 are irredeemable crap.  I've made this argument
in more detail so much recently that I'm tired of the whole discussion.  For a
flavor, see [1] [2] .  As I can squeeze out time, I prefer to spend my time on
working on a more sane set of alternatives [3].

There are a *lot* of folks, users and implementors who have also sworn to have
nothing to do with W3C XPath 2.0 and XSLT 2.0.

[1] http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6965
[2] http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=7620

"I was among the earliest implementors of XPath and XSLT. I thought, and still
think that they were remarkably well-conceived languages. XPath and XSLT 2.0
are ruined by excess, and I'd be surprised if they supplant the 1.0 versions
any time soon, as they are."
  --me on the xml-dev mailing list, Sat, 06 Jul 2002

Using libxml in Python - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/05/14/py-xml.html
Charming Jython - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jython.h
tml
The commons of creativity - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x