[XML-SIG] ANN: ElementTree 1.2 alpha 2, ElementTidy 1.0 alpha 1

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jul 31 10:39:05 EDT 2003

The Element type is a simple but flexible container object, designed
to store hierarchical data structures, such as simplified XML infosets,
in memory.  The ElementTree package provides a Python implementation
of this type, plus code to serialize element trees to and from XML files.

The 1.2 alpha 2 release fixes some minor issues (most notably, nicer
serialization of the "xml" default namespace).

You can get the ElementTree toolkit from:

    http://effbot.org/downloads

Brief documentation and some code samples (including an XML-RPC
unmarshaller in 16 lines) are available from:

    http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm

If you want more sample code, my blog currently features a number of
short articles on parsing stuff with element trees (the first four all deal
with RSS and RSS-like formats):

    http://online.effbot.org/2003_07_01_archive.htm#element-tricks

In a related release, the ElementTidy library provides an alternative
tree builder that can read (almost) arbitrary HTML, and turn it into
well-formed XHTML element trees.  The ElementTidy library uses a
library versions of Dave Raggett's HTML Tidy utility to do the clean-
up (source code is included), and does not rely on external utilities.

    http://effbot.org/downloads
    http://effbot.org/zone/element-tidylib.htm

Report bugs to this list, and/or (preferred) directly to me.

enjoy /F