[XML-SIG] py2exe and switching from PyXML 4Suite

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 23:26:39 -0700

> > > Because you're such a nice guy, I'll ditch the tease for you :-)
> >
> > You can also do these much more easily using XPath...
> >
> > from Ft.Xml import XPath
> >

> > def getElementsByTagName(node,name)
> >     return XPath.evaluate(node,".//" + name)
>
> I think my generator approach would be faster, but this XPath approach has the
> advantage of working in Python 2.0 and 2.1.  Mine is 2.2+.

Wow.  Is it ever faster.  I played with this some while working on my latest
Python&XML column.  Even in the smallest cases the generator approach is 4-5
times faster than the XPath approach.  I tried on Bosak's old testament in XML
(900KB XML file, getting all the 23145 v elements).  The generator approach
took about .82 seconds and the XPath approach took about 220 seconds.  In
other words, the generator approach was almost 300 times faster.

A Python & XML Companion - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/11/py-xml.html
XML class warfare - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6965
MusicBrainz  metadata - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-thi
nk14.html