[XML-SIG] storage decission

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:16:40 -0700

> Hi,
>
> while designing my XML I have to decide, in which form I want to save my
> documents. Possible solutions are:
> - flat file
> - RDBMS
> - OODBMS
> - ...?
>
> Do you know of articles/links where the pro and contra are discussed? Or could
> you give me some advice?

The best discussion of XML and DBMS is by Ron Bourrett

http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLAndDatabases.htm

If you do choose to use 4Suite, don't use 4ODS, which is being maintained, but
not under active development.  For one thing, it's rather inefficient for XML
storage, unless you just store the XML as plain text files, in which case 4ODS
doesn't buy you anything.  What you should use instead is the 4Suite
repository in 4SUite 0.12.0a3 or latest CVS.  The 4Suite repsotory is a
specialized storage and pprocessing platform for XML which not only stores it
efficiently, but also provides convenient access to XSLT, RDF, RELAX NG,
XUpdate and other types of processing, and has a built in Web server that can
use these as the basis of full-blown Web apps.

If you don't mind going through a free registration, the best way to get
started is the following tutorial:

https://www6.software.ibm.com/reg/devworks/dw-x4suite5-i/

The open office file format  - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think15/
Python Generators + DOM - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/01/08/py-xml.html