[XML-SIG] Validating parser

Chris Herborth chrish at cryptocard.com
Wed Dec 24 11:06:28 EST 2003

I'm upgrading my XML application to use the validating parser; I've been
fixing previously-hidden bugs in my DTD and my document instances as I go...
but now I've gotten to one that is baffling me... must be the seasonal
distraction. ;-)

Here's the error:

Invalid XML, unable to continue.
   book.xml, line 11, column 3: Not a valid name

And here are the first 11 lines of book.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE book
	PUBLIC
	"-//CRYPTOCard//DTD CRYPTO-Doc 1.0//EN"
	"CRYPTOCard.dtd"
[
	<!ENTITY % book.entities
		PUBLIC "-//CRYPTOCard//ENTITIES Book Entities//EN"
		"book.ent">
	%book.entities;
]>

If I remove the book.ent bit, it still complains at the end of the DOCTYPE
declaration, so I'm guessing there's an invalid name somewhere in my DTD.
Although I'm not sure why this error wouldn't be reported until the end of
the declaration, instead of during DTD parsing like my other DTD-related
errors...

Any help is grealy appreciated, thanks!

Chris Herborth                                     chrish at cryptocard.com
Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp.      http://www.cryptocard.com/
Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.