[XML-SIG] Python / XML / XSLT vs. Cocoon for website server side

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Fri Aug 15 08:13:41 EDT 2003

> [Richard Johannesson]
>
> > I am laying out a new medium size website that I was hoping I could use
> > Python / XML on the server side. This is a brand new site, no e-commerce
> at
> > first, but will add later. Site will need the blog, wiki, group calendar,
> > and other basic features. The size of site will initially about 50 pages,
> > but should grow quickly to few thousand pages. Much of the content will be
> > produced by users. So, main concern is being able to apply stylesheets to
> > content to keep a consistent look.
>
> Why don't you just use Plone?  No need to reinvent the wheel.  Plone is
> built on Zope, so there is your Python.  It does not use xslt, but its page
> templates are in ZPT, which is actually an xml-based language.  Plone, as a
> content management system,  should do anything you need, and you can always
> extend it (Python programming and ZPT) as needed.  Plone uses an extensive
> set of skins to get its appearance, and the page layout and appearance can
> be massively customized if you want.

He is trying to avoid framework lock-in, which is why I haven't suggested the
4Suite repository.  If you choose Zope/Plone (or Cocoon, for that matter),
you'd better be willing to stick with Zope/Plone.

Introducing Anobind - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/08/13/py-xml.html
XML Topic Maps by the book - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/
x-think19.html
Charming Jython - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jython.h