[XML-SIG] Re: Issues with Unicode type

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:57:13 -0400

Martin v. Loewis writes:
 > It's my plan, but I think I don't share this plan with GvR. When I
 > first presented a Unicode type for Python on IPC6, Guido was quite
 > upset about my proposal to use a 4-byte wchar_t as the underlying
 > type, since he considered the space wastage unacceptable.

When Guido saw my documentation updates yesterday, he entered "rant
mode" fairly quickly, and didn't want to back down (even though I
didn't express any interest in taking any position on any matter
related to Unicode!).  From that I presume it's safe to think he's
still incredibly hostile to anything beyond 7-bit ASCII.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation