[XML-SIG] Re: Issues with Unicode type

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:10:14 -0400

Martin v. Loewis writes:
 > I'd recommend to place a fairly elaborate text with Unicode
 > literals. This can mention the two forms of Python builds while
 > explaining why len(u"\U00xxyyyy") might be 2.

I presume you're referring to the language reference, section 2.4.1,
which covers all string literals?

 > Then, there should be a Unicode section in builtin types, which
 > explains the notion of encodings, and the directions in which .encode
 > and .decode operate (and the relationship to the unicode builtin).

Ok.

 > Furthermore, the codecs module should:
 > - provide a list of codecs included in a certain Python release,
 > - possibly provide a list of recognized aliases,
 > - explain the notion of error handling, and, for 2.3, the
 >   extensibility thereof.

Yep.

Sounds like a plan.  I won't get it done today, but I'll try to repair
my recent change by moving it out of the description of the len()
function, which really is not the right place for it.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation