[XML-SIG] Re: Issues with Unicode type

Tom Emerson tree@basistech.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:05:10 -0400

Fred L. Drake, Jr. writes:
> I've just added a note to the docs for Python 2.2.2 and 2.3 that len()
> returns the number of storage units, not abstract characters.  I don't
> expect that to change given that it's been doing it that way since the
> Unicode type was introduced.

Since this appears to be a point of some confusion to people who
aren't indoctrinated, perhaps a discussion needs to be put into the
documentation (extracted from the PEP or written anew) about the
reasons for this. Or is there a feeling that such detail doesn't
belong in the "regular" docs?

Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com