[XML-SIG] Issues with Unicode (wrap-up and moving along)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:38:58 +0200

Eric van der Vlist wrote:

> As a wrap-up, I think that we can say that:
>=20
> 1) Unicode is supported as code units rather than code points in =
Python.

that's an implementation detail that happens to be exposed in
the current crop of interpreters.

from a design perspective, Python uses code points, and only
fully supports Unicode BMP characters (Unicode 2.0).

if you go outside the BMP, expect version-dependent behaviour,
and expect that behaviour to change in future versions.

> The bad news is that the migration doesn't seem to be so easy, at =
least
> for 4Suite and it blows up when I try to run my test suite:
>=20
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Ft/Xml/cDomlette.py", line =
14,
> in ?
>     import cDomlettec
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Ft/Xml/cDomlettec.so:
> undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString
>=20
> Should I fill a bug :-) ?

is the extension UCS-4 aware?

</F>