[XML-SIG] Re: Issues with Unicode type

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:53:28 -0600

> On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 18:14, Tom Emerson wrote:
> =

> > By default Python is using UTF-16 as its Unicode encoding. The
> > code-point that you specify, U+10800, is outside the BMP and hence is=

> > represented by two surrogate characters in UTF-16.
> =

> Arg! Does that mean that by default Python isn't strictly conform to XM=
> 1.0?

This is apples and oranges.  Python is not an XML app, so I don't think i=
t =

means anything for Python to conform to XML.

The question is how easy it is to write a Python app that does conform to=
 XML. =

 Even if Python does not support characters outside the BMP, then this ca=
n be =

handled by writing code that does the special processing for such charact=
ers.

The other question is whether PyXML and 4Suite are conformant, since they=
 are =

XML apps.  That's what we're really trying to figure out here, I think.

-- =

Apache 2.0 API - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-ap=
ache/
Python&XML column: Tour of Python/XML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/=