[XML-SIG] PyXML XPath and XSLT

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:50:58 -0600

>  > Anyway, I also think that because of the growing difference between
>  > the two code bases, that we should rename the set in PyXML.  I know
>  > I wanted to keep the "4XPath" and "4XSLT" names, but given the
>  > increasing likelihood of confusion, I think it's enough to record
>  > their provenience int he docs.
>
> Do you think the package names should be changed, or just the
> human-readable name?  I'm happy to see the human name change if that's
> what you want.  I'd be less happy about changes that affect import
> statements.

I was meaning the human readable names.  But now that you mention it  :-)

Maybe it would be less confusing to use  xml.pyxpath and xml.pyxslt.  I like
it because the idea behind these modules as distinct from other XPath/XSLT for
Python is that they are implemented all in Python, except the boolean
extension, IIRC.  Of course, all we have to do is require Python 2.3 and we
can remove the boolean extension  <duck>.

Aside: Python 2.3 will also bring us sets.  Yes!  Yes!  Hallelujah!  Finally!

:-)

>  > If this seems like a good idea, how about "pyxpath" and "pyxslt"?
>
> If we're talking about names-for-humans, how about PyXPath and PyXSLT?

Sure.

>  > Anyway, I think we should decide on these matters before the next release.
>  > Things have been up in the air way too long.
>
> Too long, yes, but that's not a good reason to rush a decision in the
> next couple of days.  When 4Suite 0.12 comes out and Martin updates
> the code in PyXML, we can have another release with any needed
> documentation updates we need to make.

OK.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC