PyXML XPath and XSLT Re: [XML-SIG] Mass assignment of 4Suite bug reports

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:42:54 -0600

> Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> writes:
>
> > These modules have been broken a good long while,
>
> Correct. They have been waiting for the next 4Suite release all the
> time.
>
> > and they lag 4XPath and 4XSLT in 4Suite woefully.
>
> They may lag the current implementation, but they don't lag the latest
> released version that much.
>
> > There are aspects of the 4Suite code base that makes it unsuitable
> > for PyXML.  For one thing, we only support Python 2.1 and up now.
> > For another, I think we used some C modules that Martin felt were
> > too much to dump into PyXML.
>
> Yes, in particular the bison parser modules.

There is even more that has moved to C recently in 4Suite, so we'll certainly
want to keep in mind general principles about what we want to keep in Python
int he PyXPath/PyXSLT versions.  I do like the idea of keeping them mostly
Python for max cross-platform support.

> > So if there is anyone who could work as co-maintainer with me, great.  We
> > could maybe even back-port some of the *many* improvements in 4Suite
> > (especially in performance) little by little.
>
> I've been planning to move to the 4Suite code base as-is once 0.12 is
> released, wholesale. I don't think the backporting-to-2.0 issues will
> be significant, and can be done little by little. Performing the
> merging little by little seems to be a waste of time to me.

OK, then.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-jclark.html