[mgushee@havenrock.com: Re: [XML-SIG] Re: [Twisted-Python] Can anyone recommend a sensible XML parser for Python?]

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Fri, 06 Sep 2002 17:36:34 -0600

> Oops, accidentally sent this to Eron instead of the list. Here it is
> again.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Matt Gushee <mgushee@havenrock.com> -----
>
> Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:12:45 -0600
> From: Matt Gushee <mgushee@havenrock.com>
> To: Eron Lloyd <elloyd@lancaster.lib.pa.us>
> Subject: Re: [XML-SIG] Re: [Twisted-Python] Can anyone recommend a sensible XML parser for Python?
>
> Since this thread was apparently imported from another list, I'm missing
> some of the context, but here goes ...
>
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 12:36:12PM -0400, Eron Lloyd wrote:
> > Hmm, I know that minidom has had some problems recently, but it has also
> > seen some good improvements. It sounds like you need more robust DOM
> > support--have you tried 4DOM? It's not as fast,
>
> That's an understatement.
>
> > but it does adhere to
> > the spec the best. Maybe (when you have time) if you let us know what
> > you expect to accomplish we can help out--the people in XML-SIG are some
> > of the sharpest in the community. Perhaps TREX or RELAX-NG would be more
> > suitable.
>
> I don't follow that at all. First of all, he says he doesn't want
> validation. But even if the greater flexibility of RELAX NG made
> validation useful to him, RELAX NG hasn't been implemented in Python.

Happily, this is not true.  Eric van der Vlist announced XVIF stand-alone here
a month or so ago, and I announced to the 4Suite list that 4Suite/CVS
incorporates XVIF gor RELAX NG support.

http://lists.fourthought.com/pipermail/4suite/2002-August/004141.html

> As for TREX, it has been merged into RELAX NG, so it is de facto, if not
> formally, deprecated. So you want him to implement RELAX NG in Python,
> *and* rewrite the XHTML schema in RELAX NG? I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure there's already an XHTML schema in RELAX NG.  I don't have a
moment to look right now.

Of course, it's a moot point because the guy says he is not processing XHTML,
but some broken markup with some resemblance to XHTML.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC