[XML-SIG] general xml queries?

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@comcast.net
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 09:00:20 -0400

[Michael Hall]

> I'm new to this list and haven't yet figured out if it is a place to seek
> answers to general XML questions (mine relate specifically to XSLT
> stylesheets) or not. Can someone clear this up, and maybe recommend a good
> list for general XML stuff if this isn't the place?

Welcome, glad to have you with us.  No,  this is not a gneral list.  For
xslt questions, THE list is the Mulberry xslt list:

http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/

There are also some good FAQ sites - especially see Dave Pawson's and Jeni
Tennison's sites:

http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/xslfaq.html
http://www.jenitennison.com/xslt/

For xml questions there are a number of xml lists, including xml-dev, though
that is not really a general-urpose list.

> Also, being new to PyXML, I'm not up to speed with where it is heading. Is
> there any work being done to integrate XSL-FO support?  Is Apache's
> Java-based FOP the only game in town at the moment for Linux?

Pretty much, if it has to be low-cost.  If you can pay $5000, there are a
few commercial products.  I believe I just saw a FO plugin that licenses
RenderX (I think it was) for under $150, so using FO may be becoming easier
and more affordable (sorry, I do not have the reference).

Cheers,

Tom P