[XML-SIG] PyXML-0.8.1.win32-py2.1.exe install prob on Windows 2000

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@comcast.net
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 21:05:53 -0400

[ <misc@tinorb.com>]
[[
I downloaded PyXML-0.8.1.win32-py2.1.exe and am hoping to run it for my
Zope installation on Windows 2000.

My python is "Zope 2.5.1 (binary release, python 2.1, win32-x86)".

When i execute the PyXML, it launches, but doesn't find a python
installation to use.  How do i get the installer to find my Python? Is
there an Env. variable?
]]

Here's what to do.  Install the same version of Python, 2.1.3, as Zope
uses - just do a regular installation.  It will not conflict with Zope.
Now you have two possibilities and you can try them both out if you like.

1) Copy the PyXml installation to the corresponding place in the Zope tree
(the Zope Python tree is laid out a little differently from an ordinary
Python installation but it should be clear where to put it.

2) Set the Python path for Zope to point to the PyXml installation (instead
of copying it to the Zope tree).

If you do 1), make sure to delete all *.pyc and *.pyo files, because
sometimes they contain absolute path information that would be wrong in the
new location.

To test the final setup, whichever you choose, learn how to do some simple
task with PyXml that returns a string (whether an XML string or not).  Make
sure it works.  In Zope, create an External Method that invokes your test
code and returns the resulting string to Zope.  Make sure that Zope renders
the result.

Remember, with an External Method, you have to either re-save the method in
the Zope Management Interface, or you have to stop and start the Zope server
in order for the changes to take effect.  Even re-saving the method may not
work for some changes to the code that lives outside the external method, so
get in the habit of starting Zope and restarting it.  Sounds awful but I got
used to it.

You will be left with an extra Python installation.  That is not harmful,
but you can delete it if you like (if you used option 1).

Cheers,

Tom P