[XML-SIG] Dropping Python 1.5 support in PyXML

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
27 Mar 2002 17:19:34 +0100

Trond Eivind Glomsr=F8d <teg@redhat.com> writes:

> We do. Like all other python modules, this is compiled against the=20
> standard python on the system, Python 1.5. Hence the problem. PyXML is at=
=20
> 0.7. We also ship 4Suite.

I see. I guess you then got a compatibility problem already: 4XSLT, in
all released versions, does not work well with PyXML 0.7, as the DOM
interfaces where tightened in 0.7 in a way that is incompatible with
the 4XSLT usage.

The solution to this is to go either backwards or forwards; as Rich
indicates, going forwards won't help Python 1.5 users, since the next
4Suite release will mandate Python 2.x (and will be stand-alone).

> The python 2.2 package is not installed by default, does not have any=20
> support modules (like database modules, newt, 4Suite, PyXML etc) and is=20
> not used by our programs (some of which use PyXML/4Suite). We could drop=
=20
> python 2.2 today and have no impact - nothing uses it, it's there only as=
=20
> a preview for those interested.

I understand that. I kind-of questioned whether people who actively
develop applications for PyXML would settle with having to restrict
themselves to Python 1.5 - most XML users sooner or later find a need
for Unicode. So I would expect PyXML users to install the Redhat
Python 2.2 package, and install PyXML manually on top of that.

Regards,
Martin