[XML-SIG] Problem

Matt Gushee Matt Gushee <mgushee@havenrock.com>
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:40:05 -0600

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 12:15:33AM -0500, Mark V Kane wrote:

> I have difficulty installing the PyXML-0.7.1 software.  Though it may
> very well be due to my incompetence, the README said to write you.  When
> I type in
>
> python setup.py build
>
> I get a
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "setup.py", line 9, in ?
>     from distutil.core import setup, Extension
> ImportError: No module named distutils.core

The usual reason for this error is that you don't have the Distutils
package installed. And the usual reason for *that* is that you have an
old version of Python, say, 1.5.2.

If that's the case, you can either download the Distutils from

    http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/download.html

or upgrade to Python 2.2, which includes the Distutils by default.

For the most part Python 2.x is backwards compatible with 1.5, so unless
you are running a Linux distribution that makes heavy use of
Python-1.5.2-based utilities (mainly RedHat, I think), you should
probably just upgrade.

Another option is to install 2.2 alongside the older version. There was
a thread on that topic about a week ago ... shouldn't be too hard to
find in the archives.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA