[XML-SIG] XML Binding?

Bill la Forge Bill la Forge" <b.laforge@jxml.com
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:34:58 -0400

Lars,

Thanks for the expression of interest.

Now the real question is, who would be interested in working on such a
project?
I've been doing open source for too long to be interested in doing another
project solo.
Projects I'm currently managing are Quick, JXUnit, JXWeb and QARE----and
QARE is more than a full time job.

On the other hand, Quick is old enough that it is time for a radical
overhaul. Switching
to Python would do that.

Quick has been through 3 name changes and 7 complete rewrites. Quick uses a
tree factory
pattern. Its predicessor, MDSAX, used a SAX filter patern. Before that was
Coins, which was
rather ad hoc.

What I'm proposing for PyQ would use the Model/Control and
Model/View/Control
patterns. Which should be a lot easier to work with than tree factory. All
of the Quick
utilities currently build on M/C and M/V/C. See the section on Transforming
XML in
the Quick Guide at
http://www.jxml.com/2001-12/products/quick/guide/index.html#transform

I have found that M/C and M/V/C are powerful patterns for transforming XML
and data.
The Quick utilities transform XML into XML, Java Model Classes, Java
[Un]Marshaling
Classes and DTDs. And while Quick provided reasonable support for binding
XML to
pre-existing Java classes, I believe PyQ would provide even greater
flexibility.

For more information on Quick, you might want to take a look at the O'Reilly
book, Java &
XML Data Binding by Brett McLaughlin. Chapter 9 and appendix B are devoted
to Quick.

Bill