[XML-SIG] new install does not work

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sat, 08 Jun 2002 12:18:50 -0600

> I posted this message on Sunday morning, and it hasn't appared as
> of Monday, 11:57 est. I am guessing that the original email
> with the full output of the error message was too large for this
> mailing list, so I have resent it with most of the error message
> cut out.
>
> I apologize if this is a duplicate message.
>
> On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 09:46:14AM -0600, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>

> > This probably means you got 4Suite 0.11.1.  The problems you report are ones
> > that appear to affect people using Python 2.2 with 4Suite 0.11.1.  For Python
> > 2.2, we've been recommending 4Suite 0.12.0: still in alpha, but already with
> > many important advances over the old version.
> >

> I downloaded 4Suite 0.12.2a2 and moved it to my /usr/local/src
> folder. I untarred it. I ran
>
> # python setup.py build
>
> I included the error messages below.
>
> I am a newbie to python, so I can't really see any reason to try
> to make an alpa version of software work. I think I'll uninstall
> pythone 2.1, and then install 2.1. Then I'll install 4Suite 0.11.
>
> Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

No, this is fine.  But you also must then revert back to PyXML 0.6.6.

You'll also need to change the way you specify empty namespaces and prefixes
once you do move to PyXML 0.7 or 4Suite 0.12.0.

> ERROR MESSAGE FROM ./python.py build
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "build/lib.linux-i586-2.2/Ft/Lib/Time.py", line 5, in ?
>     from Ft import STRING_TYPES
> ImportError: cannot import name STRING_TYPES
> warning: build_docs: not documenting Ft.Lib.Time (could not import)

Weird.  is STRING_TYPES for some reason not defined in your local copy of
Ft/__init__.py?  (should be near the top).

At any rate, you can skip the long build-docs phase by using

./setup.py --skip-docs install

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Ft/Ods/StorageManager/Adapters/Dbm/__init__.py", line 15, in ?
>     import DAdapter
>   File "build/lib.linux-i586-2.2/Ft/Lib/DistExt/BuildDocs.py", line 172, in _safe_import
>     return apply(self._builtin_import, args)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Ft/Ods/StorageManager/Adapters/Dbm/DAdapter.py", line 20, in ?
>     from Ft.Lib import DbmDatabase
> ImportError: cannot import name DbmDatabase
> warning: build_docs: not documenting Ft.Ods.StorageManager.Adapters.Dbm (could not import)

The combination of these two errors makes me think you somehow got files
confused or corrupted.

See if

./setup.py --skip-docs install -f

(the -f meand force overwrite) helps.

You might want to rm -rf Ft and _xmlplus from your site-packages before
trtying again.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One (San Jose, Boston):
http://www.xmlconference.com/
DAML Reference - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/01/damlref.html
The Languages of the Semantic Web - http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=
2453/new1020218556549/index.html