[4suite] Re: [XML-SIG] problem whith the error " ImportError: cannot import name boolean"

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
26 Jul 2002 11:47:23 -0600

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 11:08, Mike Olson wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 09:45, Nicolas wrote:
>
> This is such a common problem that I've added code to print out a decent
> error message when it happens.

Great.  I was wanting to get around to this.  As it is, I fixed the
infamous "Unknown driver Postgres" message so that the true exception
ins exposed.

> Unfortunatly, the code I've added could
> cause use problems down the line unless we encourage people to do a
> fresh install as opposed to upgrading 4Suite.

Could you clarify this last sentence a bit?

> [molson@penny 4Suite]$ python -c"from Ft.Lib import boolean"
> There is a problem importing the compiled boolean module.
> This can mean that there were errors with ths installation of
> 4Suite.  Inwhich case you should contact 4Suite@lists.fourthought.com
> with the
> error messages generated during installation.
>
> This can also mean that you are attempting to execute code from the
> installation
> directory.  If your current working directory contains the setup.py file
> for
> 4Suite installation then you are in the installation directory for
> 4Suite.  You
> must change directories before you can use the Ft module.

Could you reverse the order of this message?  I think it should first of
all make them check that they're not running from the build dir, and
*then* say if they have a remaining problem they should report to the
list.  I just worry that people won't read through the whole message.

I can do this, if you like.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC