[XML-SIG] minidom changes

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:37:25 -0400

Mike Olson writes:
 > Sorry, I didn;t run these tests before I checked in, i didn't even think
 > to do it.

I really, really, *really* like to push running "make check"
frequently.  I find it very helpful to leave just one Python version
enabled there when I'm deep in development, two when coming out of
development (one of Python 2.0/2.1, and one of Python 2.2/2.3), and
all four before committing.

I wouldn't mind setting up the repository so that commits are rejected
if they cause the tests to fail.  ;-)

 > The problem is that the element that the test is cloning does not have
 > an owner document.  So the question is, is that an error with the clone
 > node code (ie should that be allowed) or is it a problem with the test
 > harness (as all nodes should have an owner document).  I can fix it
 > either way.  I think it is a problem with the test harness.

I agree.  The DOM is definately a factory-centric API.

 > However, I think we say it is OK to do xml.dom.minidom.Element('e')
 > inwhich case we could have a lot of nodes without owner documents and a
 > lot of people will get these errors.

I'm not sure what you mean.  I certainly don't know of any
documentation that indicates that's a way to do it.  I'm less
concerned about maintaining undocumented behavior than Martin.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation