[XML-SIG] Strange install issue

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
24 Jul 2002 20:25:09 +0200

Dinu Gherman <gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de> writes:

> I'm a bit puzzled! Moving over to a new machine I found some strange
> errors with simple scripts handling simple XML. After a while, I've
> made a totally new Python 2.2.1 installation (on OS X) with only the
> std.lib. XML modules, but I get the traceback below. On my previous
> machine that worked fine, but there I also had PyXML installed...
>
> Really, all I did was to install Python with ./configure and make
> install... I'd like to have that running before considering to in-
> stall PyXML. Anybody a clue?

There really is no XML parser in the standard Python
distribution. Python offers the pyexpat module, but does not (yet)
include Expat itself. So you need an Expat installation first.

I'm not sure whether Python's setup.py will correctly find Expat on OS
X; you might need to edit Modules/Setup.

Regards,
Martin