Fwd: [XML-SIG] [ pyxml-Bugs-581175 ] Bad bangpath for scripts on install (e.g

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:46:20 -0600

> "Juergen Hermann" <jh@web.de> writes:
>
> > I guess this could be corrected by checking the current command, and
> > then emitting not the full paths to python, but only a relative one
> > ("python.exe").
>
> It's even more tricky. Windows installations do associate .py with the
> "default" Python installation, but don't put Python into the
> path. Hence, you can invoke "foo.py", but invoking "python.exe foo.py"
> likely fails.
>
> That's why I'll be installing .py files on Windows, instead of .bat
> files. Users can then add .py to CMDEXT (or whatever the name of the
> environment variable is) if they don't want to type the .py.

Jeremy, in his typical evil genius way, went even farther with 4Suite.  He
actually compiles each script into a little C program on Windows which embeds
the Python interpreter.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
The many heads of XML modeling - http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6393
Will XML live up to its promise? - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/li