[XML-SIG] yet another output encoding

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:57:36 +0100

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
>
> > > There is a patch pending on SF adding that feature to Python core;
> > > that patch is still awaiting review.
> >
> > Which patch would that be ?
>
> It is
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=432401&group_id=5470&atid=305470
>
> That patch would enable to insert character references only if the
> character is unencodable in the target encoding, and it was precisely
> designed to support XML/HTML.

Not only that: it was designed to enable error handler callbacks.

Unfortunately, work on the patch is not finished yet: the design
should cover both the encoding and decoding parts using the same
strategy. Walter and I postponed the work on this until after
the 2.2 release. It's still on the plate though.

For this particular case, I'd still suggest to write up
special optimized codecs, since they would be particularly
useful and cover two standard cases which occur quite
often in practice.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH