[XML-SIG] 4DOM HTML erroneously using NS methods

Sylvain Thenault Sylvain.Thenault@logilab.fr
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:00:53 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> > > All the convience methods defined on HTML elements are expecting the
> > > attributes to stored via setAttribute not the NS verision.  It would be
> > > quite an udertaking to change all of those.  Another problem is that
> > > attribute names are not uppercased as element names are.
> >
> > Another way to fix this problem without reverting changes is to add to
> > html elements a setAttributeNS method which delegate in the same way as
> > setAttribute.
>
> Well, I have no desire to add to another's work-load.  Given mine, that would
> just be a case of misery looking for company.
>
> But I dislike this solution on semantic grounds.  HTML has no conception of
> namespaces, so using even the *appearance* of namespace methods on HTML
> elements is, IMO quite problematic.

As I said, I can easily revert the changes I made (remove
HTMLDocument.createElementNS and call to NS method in Sgmlop) or add
the setAttributeNS method. I only want to be sure we are going in the
right way.

regards

--
Sylvain Thenault