[XML-SIG] xml vs. sql

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 11:00:59 +0100

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > I'm considering building a data-centric website using xml instead of the
> > usual SQL database. I expect the site will receive about 1000 hits per
> > day. There will never be more than a couple thousand records in the
> > data. I'm planning on using Apache, mod_python and Python's minidom.
>
> If you are looking into a Python implementation, I recommend to use
> pickle/cPickle over XML. If desired, you can still offer XML
> import/export.

Just a note: you should always make the nature of your queries
guide you in the choice of underyling data storage.

Pickles and Python objects won't help you with fulltext search,
SQL rows don't support nested object structures too well
and maintaining Gigabytes of XML files can be troublesome
without some solid XML repository as engine.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH