[XML-SIG] xml vs. sql

Michael Mell mike@nthwave.net
Mon, 07 Jan 2002 17:32:00 -0800

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > I'm considering building a data-centric website using xml instead of the
> > usual SQL database. I expect the site will receive about 1000 hits per
> > day. There will never be more than a couple thousand records in the
> > data. I'm planning on using Apache, mod_python and Python's minidom.
>
> If you are looking into a Python implementation, I recommend to use
> pickle/cPickle over XML. If desired, you can still offer XML
> import/export.
Thanks Martin. The pickle solution looks effective.

I'd prefer to find a more generic solution. The generic solution would
allow any common language (Java, Perl, Python, PHP come to mind) to
manage the data. We're back to XML, right?

My goals are to
   ~ never have the data locked in an unusable (proprietary) format
   ~ reduce installation and maintenance hurdles to a minimum

thanks.

--
mike@nthwave.net
llemekim         YahooIM