[XML-SIG] Availability of libxml2 and libxslt Python bindings

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
23 Feb 2002 01:54:57 +0100

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> The problem is that Python does not use the RTLD_GLOBAL
> option per default (I don't remember why, but do remember
> there were some problems with making it the default).

The problem is that you would be exposing unrelated symbols, e.g. the
XML parsing library may conflict with your GUI library. One specific
incidence was that the Oracly library crashed because it got the
initsocket symbol from the Python module, not from its own shared
library.

> Now this is how it works on Linux... not sure about other
> platforms.

On Windows, you always have local symbol resolution, since the
reference always refers to a (DLL name, symbol name) pair. On Mac OS
X, you currently have a flat namespace, which is a serious problem.

Regards,
Martin