[XML-SIG] Availability of libxml2 and libxslt Python bindings

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:43:26 +0100

Daniel Veillard wrote:

> > Seriously, I think that Fred's second proposal (combining
> > the Python wrapper modules, rather than the libs) solves
> > this best. And it should work on all platforms and with all
> > Python versions.
>
>   Except it seems to break my existing packaging model. Though
> not cast in stone I really would not like to change the RPM mapping
> too much. But I'm not sure I have looked at all the facet of Fred's
> proposal and how to actually build the stuff that way, so I will
> still try to get it working.

Ideal would be if you'd factor out the Python bindings completely.
Then you'd have three packages libxml2, libxslt and python-libxml.

The advantage of this approach is that you can then use setup.py
to build the Python binding and also combine the two bindings
into one (shouldn't be too hard, since you are generating
the wrappers anyway, I figure).

Your packaging would have to change in that *you* will have to
run the generator and then place the generated .c files into
the package. setup.py can then take it from there.

>   Microsoft packaging is anyway a domain I can't touch, I really don't
> have such a box and don't intend to in the foreseable future, though I
> usually take portability patches gracefully !

With distutils you get this for free !

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH