[XML-SIG] Availability of libxml2 and libxslt Python bindings

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:26:49 +0100

Daniel Veillard wrote:

> I don't know how this could fit in the xml-sig framework, but they are now
> available as part of the libxml2 and libxslt releases. More informations
> and small tutorial/examples at:
>    http://xmlsoft.org/python.html
>    and
>    http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/python.html
>
> You will notice how XPath and XSLT engines can be extended with functions
> written in Python.
> Of course the Python bindings inherit from the speed and strict adherence
> to the associated standard which are the key points of the underlying C
> libraries. The libxml2 conformance against the OASIS XML test suite is
> actually written as a Python script using the libxml2 module.

I've downloaded both the libxml2 and libxslt libs, but it's
not clear to me where to find the Python extensions (there's
some mention of them in libxslt, but nothing in libxml2).

Ideal would be to have them as distutils setup.py style
packages, so that it is possible to install them without
having to compile the libs themselves.

Also, I'm a little unsure how the David Kuhlman Python
extensions fit into the picture: are they no longer needed
or do they provide extra functionality ?

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH