[XML-SIG] WSDL library ?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 21:13:53 +0100

martin wrote:
> HOWEVER, the only acceptable content of the "string" element is a
> string (ie. PCDATA) that restricts itself to only characters with
> ordinal values below 128, as specified byte "ASCII string" in
>
> http://www.xmlrpc.com/spec

the specification says:

    "The body of the request is in XML. A procedure executes
    on the server and the value it returns is also formatted in
    XML."

and then it says:

    "ASCII string"

and in response to the question "what characters can you use
in a string" (asked by me), it says:

    "Any characters are allowed in a string except < and &,
    which are encoded as &lt; and &amp;"

looks like the "any valid XML character is okay" wins by 2-1.

> I do not think that dave has ever claimed, in public or private, that
> this is meant to be "arbitrary text".

    "Any characters are allowed in a string except < and &,
    which are encoded as &lt; and &amp;"

</F>