[XML-SIG] Unexpected memory leak in Sax + _locator

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:02:44 -0500

Bernhard Herzog writes:
 > 3. Use a weak reference proxy to the parser as the argument to
 >    setDocumentLocator.

I favor this approach myself.  ;-)  This is the kind of thing weakrefs
are good at, and it keeps the code as simple as possible.

The catch, of course, is that weakrefs are only available for Python
2.1 and newer.  For this reason, it might be reasonable to use a more
backward-compatible solution instead of weakrefs, but the cost is code
complexity (though not a lot).  But I'm happy if we only solve the
problem for Python 2.1 and newer.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>