[XML-SIG] Problem Installing PyXML

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:23:34 -0400

Matt Gushee writes:
 > This may be incorrect. You do need to have the Python Makefile installed
 > to compile C extensions with DistUtils; I don't know about Solaris, but
 > on Linux at least you have to build Python from source or install a
 > development package to have the Makefile. I think most PyXML users up to

The fact that some distributers package the development support
separately from the main Python interpreter is quite disconcerting.  I
rarely use the default Python installed from a vendor's packages.

 > It could be that he didn't have the Makefile installed, but one thing
 > that caught my eye was a number of lines in the stack trace like this:
 >
 >    File "/genesis1/cdillaba/Python-2.2.1/Lib/distutils/sysconfig.py", line
 >
 > That refers to an existing source file on his system. Note that 'Lib' is
 > capitalized, which of course is unusual for a UNIX system. Contrast that

It is normal for a Python being run from a build area; this looks like
a Python 2.2.1 unpacked from the .tgz source archive.  The distutils
included in Python 2.2.1 did not support building C extensions using a
Python which had not been installed.  This has been fixed on the
Python trunk (2.3a0); I'm not sure if this is working for the 2.2.x
maintenance branch.

Sorry I've not had time to pay attention to this earlier.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation