[XML-SIG] Element.localName, Attr.localName

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:28:49 -0600

>  > Therefore, it is up to the architect of the processing system to
>  > ensure that documents are processed in the manner that is
>  > appropriate for their system's documents. This means that if one
>  > needs to be able to disable namespace-aware processing, then they'd
>  > better not be using minidom. Minidom is under no obligation to
>  > support non-namespace-aware processing. [so we are in agreement] :)
>
> Ah, but here I disagree.  minidom should support namespace-unaware
> processing, primarily because it is *the* DOM that is shipped as part
> of the Python standard library, and most simple applications of XML
> are namespace unaware (which is more reasonable than expecting them to
> become namespace aware).  I consider this a substantial requirement.

I think this is specious.

Under what curcumstances is it useful to have relevant prefix and namespaceURI
attributes to be None when the user has used namespace declarations?

Do you have an actual use case or scenario wher this is useful?  I certainly
can't think of any.

It would be one thing if DOM Level 2 "descructively" supported namespaces, but
it doesn't.  All namespace attributes and operations are mere additions, and
the user can ignore them if he chooses to.

In

<eggs:spam xmlns:eggs="spam.com/>

The nodeName of the element is still eggs:spam, as it is in DOM L1.  The
nodeName of the attribute is still xmlns:eggs.  So why does it matter that the
NS aware attributes prefix and namespaceURI have a value rather than None?

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC