[XML-SIG] Error 404 and xml.dom.ext.reader

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:42:04 -0600

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 09:38:51AM +0200, Alexandre wrote:

> > > I agree. Alexandre, would you like to implement that change?
> >
> > I'll give it a try today.
>
> OK, I've got something up and running, which runs nicely with
> regrtest.py. I'll be committing it very soon.
>
> The changes are mainly on the line of changing urllib.urlopen to
> urllib2.urlopen, and urllib.basejoin to urlparse.urljoin.

Hmm.  Here be dragons.

There are subtle but important differences between the behavior of
urllib.basejoin and  urlparse.urljoin, especially with file URLs in Windows.
I don't remember the full details off-head but I think Tom Passim and Mike
Olson had detailed messages on this in the past.

I would suggest keeping urllib around just for basejoin, since it seems we've
reached, after a lot of tinkering,  a balance where the fewest number of
platform users scream  :-)

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC