[XML-SIG] PyXML 0.7 & 4XSLT

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:48:20 -0400

Martin v. Loewis writes:
 > Mostly. The precise wording should be "no released version of
 > 4Suite". The 0.12alpha versions reportedly work fine.

If I use Python 2.2.1, PyXML 0.7, and 4Suite 0.12a2, with this script:
#! /usr/bin/env python2.2

import sys
from xml import xslt
from xml.xslt import minisupport
from xml.xslt import XsltException
from xml.xslt.Processor import Processor        ### breaks here

p = Processor()
reader = minisupport.MinidomReader(0)
p.setDocumentReader(reader)
p.appendStylesheetUri(sys.argv[1])

I get the following traceback:

grendel(~/tmp); python2.2 tmp.py file:///home/fdrake/projects/python/trunk/Doc/tools/sgmlconv/xslt/module.xsl
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tmp.py", line 7, in ?
    from xml.xslt.Processor import Processor
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_xmlplus/xslt/Processor.py", line 24, in ?
    from xml.xslt import StylesheetReader, ReleaseNode
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_xmlplus/xslt/StylesheetReader.py", line 66, in ?
    XML_PARSE_ERROR = Ft.Lib.XML_PARSE_ERROR
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'XML_PARSE_ERROR'

 > Sorry, I don't understand the phrase "stand a chance".

Sorry for being obscure.  What I mean is that I'm skeptical that the
current situation will be maintainable for any length of time.  With
4Suite and PyXML having the current strange relationship they have,
it's really painful trying to keep up with which versions work
together and which don't.  The xml.xslt package seems to end up very
unstable.

My understanding is that 4Thought intends to move 4XSLT entirely into
PyXML, where it will be maintained, but in the meanwhile, we don't
really seem to have a good XSLT strategy.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation