[XML-SIG] [ pyxml-Bugs-540666 ] ns_parse should support annotation

noreply@sourceforge.net noreply@sourceforge.net
Sun, 07 Apr 2002 12:02:19 -0700

Bugs item #540666, was opened at 2002-04-07 12:02
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=106473&aid=540666&group_id=6473

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
This bug has also been reported at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=141553&repeatmerged=yes
 but the maintainer there suggested I forward it to upstream
 which is here!

The full summary (for which there is no room above) should
say:
ns_parse and xbel2html should support annotations

This wishlist bug is related to folder and bookmark annotations.  The
mozilla-style bookmark file element is <dd> while the corresponding xbel
element is called <desc> Here is the rationale for <desc> quoted from
http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/xbel/docs/html/top-level.html:

Many Internet browsers support simple annotation of bookmark data with human
readable text. This element is required to support exchange of this data.

I have left this wishlist rather than normal because you can limp along
without annotations for normal bookmark use.  However, the problem is if you
attempt to generate a website from your bookmarks file with, e.g., bk2site,
it absolutely requires annotations.  The workaround is to always keep your
bookmarks in mozilla-style form (which does support annotations), but I am
very much looking forward to using xbel-style bookmarks as soon as
annotations become supported by ns_parse and xbel2html.