[XML-SIG] default namespace prefixes in xpath's processorNss

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sun, 07 Apr 2002 11:05:13 -0600

> I did a little more poking about with respect to my question of how to pass a
> defalut namespace value to the XPath evaluation via processorNss [1]. I
> didn't find any documentation or code that indicated there was a way
> (maybe I'm still missing it.) I also wondered whether such a think is
> even supposed to be possible;

It is not.  Unlike some other specs, XPath forbids the application of default
namespace to unqualified names in expressions.

> XPath says the context includes, "The
> namespace declarations consist of a mapping from prefixes to
> namespace URIs." [2] I presume a legitimate mapping includes the
> null prefix for the default namespace?

No.  I'll look up the precise passage when I have a moment, but in
implementing XPath, I and the other XPath developers made ourselves very clear
aboout the prescriptions of XPath 1.0 in this regard.

Why do you think you need to apply the default namespace within XPath
expressions?

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +1 720 320 2046
4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management
Track chair, XML/Web Services One (San Jose, Boston):
http://www.xmlconference.com/