[XML-SIG] Re: [reportlab-users] The fastest XML parser around

Alexandre Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:24:53 +0200

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 06:51:48AM -0500, Kevin Jacobs wrote:
> Congrats on the new XML parser!
>
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Andy Robinson wrote:
> > pyRXP constructs a tree of tuples in memory with a single API call; the tree
> > is easy to navigate in standard Python code and can be wrapped up with
> > DOM-like 'lazy accessor' nodules.
>
> Why bother with lazy accessors?  If you are willing to consider using some
> of the new Python 2.2 features, you can get all the speed and efficiency of
> tuples with a true DOM interface.

I doubt you'll get as low a memory footprint.

> Also, is it fair to make comparisons with
> other parsers, since it doesn't look like RXPpy computes tag sets to answer
> queries like getElementsByTagName or getElementById efficiently?

It's probably not fair, but then, so what ? If pyRXP doesn't do what you
need, just forget it, and use whatever parser you feel like using. I
personnaly have never ever used getElementsByXXX, so this is not an
important functionnality for me. OTOH, being able to load and manipulate
in memory a 10MB XML document is something I'd like to do which is
awkward with current DOM implementation I'm aware of.

Alexandre Fayolle
--
LOGILAB, Paris (France).
Narval, the first software agent available as free software (GPL).