[XML-SIG] The fastest XML parser around

Daniel Veillard veillard@redhat.com
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 11:41:28 -0500

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 05:09:52PM +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Thanks, I genuinely did not know about this! I briefly reviewed
> libxml some time ago but I think it was a different version under
> a different license (or I may have assumed that anything with 'gn...'
> was GPL).    I'll try to build it and assemble some benchmark data.
> If we can get the same speeds AND validation from libxml2 without license
> hassles, we could use it in our framework.

  It was dual licenced under the LGPL or W3C IPR. Since people argued about
restrictions in both, I rereleased it under the MIT Licence. Both were
actually allowing reuse in closed source products anyway, that didn't
changed.

> I submit that many others can't know about libxml2 either, as I've
> had a fair bit of fan mail in the last few hours, and have personally
> visited several Python firms who work extensively with XML and not heard
> it mentioned.

  The Python bindings are recent, well at least the ones I maintain,
and not part until now of any large distribution, I expect this to change.

> For me the 'end goal' would be to have a standard extension
> module in the main Python distribution which did DOM, SAX, XSLT etc., all
> at C-like speeds.  If libxml2 is a candidate, we should help you package it
> and promote it a bit better :-)

  Well for the packaging it is part of the Linux distributions, and
the BSD ones, it's a Cygwin prepackaged libraries and getting included
in a well known Unix brand.
  The python bindings are a layer on top of it. As well as the XSLT
engine (and its own Python bindings).
  There is certainly a need for improvements of the python bindings
to make them fit better in the architecture and provide similar APIs
as the other parsers. Help is certainly welcome.
    http://xmlsoft.org/python.html
    http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/python.html

Daniel