[XML-SIG] The fastest XML parser around

Daniel Veillard veillard@redhat.com
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:11:04 -0500

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 03:51:39PM +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com> writes:

  Hi Henry,

> >   Last time I checked (i.e. when I was still a W3C staff member and we asked
> > Henry Thompson and Richard Tobin to make RXP open source), the licence for
> > RXP was GPL.
> >    As far as I can tell it still is:
> >      http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/rxp.html
> >
> >   So it is hardly usable for any commercial or non-GPL framework.
>
> ReportLab paid the University of Edinburgh for a non-GPL license, enabling it
> to distribute pyRXP on flexible terms, as long as they preclude
> unbundling RXP and distributing it on its own.

  Okay so basically, they are trying to get people to buy their product.
Fine, but they should say so :-)
  It's very similar to the position of Qt/Trolltech, so it's not an
abnormally suprizing model, but not really the one expected in the Python
community as I understood. Anyway it's good to know you got some funding
from this.

Daniel