[XML-SIG] Using xpath/xslt on proprietary object structures.

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@home.com
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:55:25 -0400

[Xhaus Main Account]

> When I started this years ago, before I discovered Python, I used to use a
> command line XSLT processsor (XT) and character entities to manage the
whole
> network of files. However, there was too much manual maintenance of data
> files, so when I started using Python, I automated the maintenance using
DOM.

I'd reconsider using xslt.  There could be another approach that would make
it work out.  I have a project where I produce a number of xml data files
from a relational database, combine them, merge them into a template, merge
that with hand-crafted text that is different for each different version I
want to produce, then transform to html.  All this runs from one batch file,
using four separate stylesheets.

All the customized information is kept in a single resource file (xml, of
course), and that is the only thing that has to get changed for any
customization, so maintenance is easy.

Maybe xslt would really do the job for you, too.

Cheers,

Tom P