[XML-SIG] 4XSLT Performance Problems with Large Files

16 Sep 2001 11:29:21 +0200

* Dieter Maurer

|   My observation seems to indicate that "saxon" needs most of
|   its time with startup (reading the DocBook stylesheets).
|   The document size seems to be almost irrelevant. It takes
|   about the same time to transform a 10 kB document than a
|   several hundred kB document.

Do you have '<!DOCTYPE' declarations in your documents? If so, that
may be part of the problem. The DocBook DTDs are huge, and take quite
a while to parse. Of course, so are the stylesheets, but removing the
DTD reference may help somewhat, at least.

I've had good experiences with using xt instead, which uses xp, which
doesn't read the DTD at all.

I've had even better experience with writing my own stylesheets and
not using DTD references at all. :-)

--Lars M.