[XML-SIG] Using xpath/xslt on proprietary object structures.

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:07:25 -0700

> Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>
> > Looks as if most of this can be done using XInclude and XSLT.  It is an
> > interesting usage pattern indeed.
>
> Uche, is that "interesting" as in "interesting problem to solve" or "interesting"
> as in "what a poor solution you've chosen" :-)

You've found ways to adapt to XML solutions when they were not even really
available.  I certainly couldn't bring myself to criticize that.  I do mean
the former.

> If it's the former, check www.paratuberculosis.org to see the output of the current
> implementation. If it's the latter, I know I've currently got a *very* poor design.
> I can only plead lack of time and still incomplete knowledge of the way to
> pythonically process XML. Also, I originally wrote all this processing using the
> MSXSL beta from Fall 1998 (anyone remember that?). But I'm learning fast, thanks to
> the excellence of python and the excellence of the available XML tools.
>
> Actually, on Alexandre's suggestion, I've started looking into 4Suite Server, and
> I'm mightily impressed.

I hate to say this, but I would wait a little bit.  We've made another round
of fundamental changes to finish its evolution: the internal 4SS code base
that we've been developing and testing.  Is a huge leap from the last one, and
is the architecture that we'll be carrying to 1.0.

We'll probably have public CVS open again this week, so all can have a
preview.  The final release of 0.12.0 is scheduled for early December.

> When I get the time, I'm going to migrate over to 4SS. It's a very powerful suite
> of software.
>
> Also, I'm intrigued by the possibility of a read/write cDomlette. Do you have any
> idea when 4Suite 0.12 might be available?

See above.

4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management