[XML-SIG] pyexpat.c help

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 22:26:06 +0200

Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > Is this .c written for python1.5 only?  I put py2.1 files in the
> > include/lib path.  Do I need a ver made to compile with 2.1?  Also, what
> > is pyexpat.pyd's role in zope (what does it do/used for)?
>
> I don't know about the pyexpat.c that you can get from Zope; the
> current one certainly works with all Python versions. pyexpat.pyd is
> the module that interfaces to the Expat XML parser, which is in turn
> used to parse XML.

ParsedXML's pyexpat.c apparently exists because it has some extra
bells and whistles needed by ParsedXML. The general desire is to phase
this out as quickly as possible. I don't know what extra bells and whistles
these are, even; but Fred Drake should know..

Of course I am getting mysterious segfaults when running some parser unit tests
against either version of pyexpat.. I see a recent bug on sourceforge
(Uninit memory read in pyexpat.c) that could be related; the segfault
I'm seeing looks pretty memory related; even adding and removing debugging
print statements in the test code makes more or less tests succeed
semi-randomly.

Regards,

Martijn